A Place I Would Love to Visit

by Elena T

Part of what makes travel so exhilarating for me is the sense of escape, albeit temporarily, from reality and the norms that dictate everyday life. For its unique culture so different than my own, I would love to visit Japan. I can’t really think of a place on earth that I would not like to visit, but the East Asian island is definitely near the top of my list.

One of the most fascinating aspects of Japan for me is its cuisine. I am constantly awed by the Japanese culinary creativity that transform a few simple ingredients and minimalist preparations into exquisite renditions that blur the lines of food and art. The tradition of bento box lunches are a perfect example of this cohabitation. Japanese mothers are known to spend hours each day preparing their child’s school lunch, carving fruits and vegetables and molding rice into cartoon characters and beautiful nature scenes. Just as an American kindergartener’s snacks promulgate a cafeteria hierarchy, the bento box is considered a tangible representation of a Japanese mother’s love and care for her child. I would love to interview mothers and learn some bento techniques if I were to visit Japan.

Japan also appeals to the tea lover in me. It seems that every aspect of Japanese culture and cuisine is considered carefully. Nowhere is this so clear than in the art of Chanoyu, or the Japanese tea ceremony. The preparation and enjoyment of tea is as spiritual as it is physical; the ritualistic service and ordered consumption reflect the Japanese respect for elders and connection to nature.

Modern Japan beckons to me with its bright lights, vibrant Harajuku colors, and attractive state-of-the art electronics. While these innovative beacons make Tokyo an international cultural center, it is the traditional elements of cuisine and culture that make Japan a coveted stamp in my passport.

Some examples of the beautiful art of bento!